RE: Unidentified subject!

-----Original Message-----
From: Fierce Silver [mailto:fiercesilver@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 05:42 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Unidentified subject!

I'm having a lot trouble installing Linux on my ppc.
I'm stuck on the hard drive partitioning.  I've read
your installation manual and played around with it.
But nothing seems to work.  Can you e-mail me step by
step instructions on how to successfully get through
the hard drive partition step.

Thank for the help in advance.
---------Response----------------
This is excerpted from "Installing Debian 3.0 onto an Apple iBook" http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html. I used it to install Debian on my Ti PowerBook. It is an excellent guide to installing Debian on a PPC box even if it isn't a laptop.

Example: Here's the procedure I went through to partition my iBook's disk in the Debian installer. The dummy MacOS Extended partition I had set aside for Debian appeared as /dev/hda9.

 1.  d (delete partition; I am next prompted for the partition number to delete)
 2.  9 (my answer, "partition 9"; this now leaves empty space where I can create the partitions I need)
 3.  b (create an Apple_Bootstrap partition; I am next prompted for what "block" at which it should start)
 4.  9p (my answer, "whatever block partition 9 starts at" -- that's the beginning of the space I just freed)
 5.  p (take a look and confirm the existence of the new Apple_Bootstrap partition)
 6.  c (create partition; I am next prompted for what block the new partition should start at)
 7.  10p (my answer, "whatever block partition 10 starts at" -- unlike MS-DOS partition tables, free space gets numbers you can use for reference, so this is the partition right after the Apple_Bootstrap one I just created; I'm next asked how big it should be)
 8.  1200M (I am creating a 1200 megabyte swap partition -- yes, I know that is large)
 9.  swap (I give it the name "swap"; this is important, and I should not call it anything else)
 10.  c (create partition; I am next prompted for what block the new partition should start at)
 11.  11p (my answer, "whatever block partition 11 starts at" -- that starts right after the end of the swap partition I just created; I'm next asked how big it should be)
 12.  11p (a size of zero wouldn't make sense, so it knows that this means "wherever this free space partition ends")
 13.  root (I give it the name "root"; this is important, and I should not call it anything else)
 14.  p (I take another look around)
 15.  w (I write the partition table to disk)
 16.  q (I quit fdisk)

HTH

John