Re: Newbie networking problems; pppd with Woody.

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 07:44:29AM -0500, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I found a solution to this issue by changing the first line of
> resolv.conf file from, "search mindspring.com" to "order hosts,bind".

What versions are you running?  According to the docs on Debian 3.0
there is no such option for resolv.conf.  There is in host.conf
though.  I think it likely that no nameservers are read from your
incorrect resolv.conf at all.

> My resolv.conf file now looks like:
> order hosts,bind
> nameserver 207.69.188.185
> nameserver 207.69.188.186
>
> I don't get a frustrating error that stops the process of ping or
> fetchmail. For example, a ping response returns no packets on the first
> transmission, but ping continues and by the second transmission returns
> packets. I'm certain the first ping response is returning no packets
> because the ip-up scripts and DNS determination hasn't completed.

Could it be that somewhere in your ip-up scripts your incorrect
resolv.conf gets replaced by a correct on?

--
groetjes, carel