Re: Kernel compilation

在 2002 十二月 31 星期二 03:24,cobb 寫道:
> I have not been able to find a document specific to Debian on upgrading the
> kernel.  I am running 2.2.20, but would like to use a 2.4 or better kernel.
>
> Can anyone explain it, or point me to a document SPECIFIC to Debian?  I
> keep finding Redhat-specific information.
>
> - Jimmy
>
> ps: hi, I'm new to the list. ;D

Hello Jimmy,

If  you have no problem to compile kernel on Redhat, usually you will feel at
home on Debian. Here is the steps:

1. use apt-cache search to search the kernel source package you need:
e.g. apt-cache search kernel-source

2. download and install the kernel source package
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.19

3. cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19

4. make menuconfig

5. make-kpkg kernel_image
(this will build a kernel image package at /usr/src, just use
dpkg -i kernel-image-<version>.deb to install the kernel image package.

Note: you may need to install "make", "gcc", "libncurses5-dev" to execute make
menuconfig and further compilation.

If you'd like to learn more about debian-specific kernel compilation, read
make-kpkg man pages or kernel-package documents.

Good luck!

--
Patrick Hsieh<pahud@ezplay.tv>
GnuPG Pubilc Key at http://www.ezplay.tv/~pahud/pahudatezplay.pubkey