Re: public lending right

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 06:42:41PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> AFAIK, Debian CD sets usually don't contain non-free. Indeed, it's not
> likely to be much of a problem for first-time users any more - the main
> concern around the time of potato was Netscape, and Mozilla is a more
> than adequate replacement now.

I think this sorely underestimates user demand for flashplayer,
acroread, and realplayer.  Whoever maintains these packages needs to
get cracking if they don't want them removed from stable and frozen
soon according to DebianPlanet.

Acroread is broken in sid, currently.  I'd love to see something that
works as well as acroread is supposed to, with a mozilla plugin, but
isn't acroread.  Is xpdf still a bit gimpy or is it a suitable
replacement, now?  If it is a suitable replacement, this is good news,
acroread never worked as well as advertised, even under Windows.

mplayer is a good start on a realplayer, The Playa and Windows Media
Player replacement.  It works exceptionally well.  However, adding
non-free codecs is non-trivial.  I wish that this package would have
something going for it similar to how CSS is (used?) to be installed:
If you installed a dvd player, it would prompt you that if you wanted
to install decss, you'd have to run a seperate script that would wget
a custom deb and install it.  Something like this should be done for
the non-free codecs that mplayer can use.

Flashturbation, unfortunately, is a reality on the web.  Also
unfortunate is the GPL'd shockwave flash player isn't quite up to the
task.  I'd love for this to be a suitable replacement to the non-free
Macromedia version.

--
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user