Re: Sendmail and smtp-auth

> Sorry, I'm not much further than you, but maybe a bit. I've got sid,
> so YMMV.
>
> I've installed the sasl libs and modules (would be nice, if there
> where some dependencies helping in finding them or a file listing
> them; don't install sasl2 which is not supported). Then and I added
>
> 	TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
> 	define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
>
> to sendmail.mc and used saslpasswd to register a password. The log
> shows that CRAM-MD5 will be used by default by my MUA. What fooled me
> a lot was that I needed to specify a realm (domain) to do so, as the
> default didn't work. This seems to work for me, but not from a Windows
> box. Also, I'm having troubles defining the certificate for TLS, which
> I installed running the script update_tls. Maybe this helps you, or
> even, you find out some more and can share your wisdom...

Well, I've only gotten part-way there.

I've added these to my sendmail.mc:
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl

(similar to yours above)
and added passwords to sasldb with saslpasswd.  To the best I can
figure, sendmail didn't start working with SASL until either my
"/etc/cram-md5.pwd" or "/etc/sasldb" was made mode 0400.  I'm now to the
point that telneting in to sendmail on localhost and checking the ehlo
gives me the "250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5".  That tells me sendmail
finally understands I've got SASL.  Still, I'm getting "cannot relay"
errors when trying to send mail.  I'm at a loss.  Also, I don't think
SASL is checking sasldb, as passwords aren't working now, for checking
email with imapd, until I place them into /etc/cram-md5.pwd.

I think I'm missing something simple, but can't figure it out yet.