Re: XF86 4.2.1 upgrade problem

Richard Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> [2002-11-06 15:56:49 +0000]:
> I run testing, and have just upgraded X to 4.2.1-3, and I eventually got
> it working OK.  However, although I'm using the same XF86Config file as
> before, and have not made any screensaver or other changes, my monitor no
> longer goes into power saving mode as it used to with the previous version
> of X.  Now the screen just goes blank.
>
> I'd be grateful for any pointers as to why this has happened.

Please double check that you have the DPMS option specified in your
configuration.  Mine looks like this.  The numbers are specific to my
monitor and I only included the context for the example.

  Section "Monitor"
          Identifier      "TFW9105"
          HorizSync       30-95
          VertRefresh     50-152
          Option          "DPMS"            <---  Magic option.
  EndSection

The DPMS is supposed to let X11 know it has power save capability.
But since older monitors do not do that it has not been enabled by
default, IIRC.  If that went away that would stop this from power
saving.

Bob