Re: Newbie networking problems; pppd with Woody.

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:13:04AM -0500, ZZ (deb@cercy.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:05:36PM -0500, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> > I've been frustrated for a long time about a problem I'm having with DNS
> > lookup. The first time I try to initiate internet connection with pppd I
> > consistently receive the following type error:
> >
> > barry@debian:/etc/ipmasq$ ping pop.mindspring.com
> > ping: unknown host pop.mindspring.com
> >
> > -or-
> >
> > fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop.mindspring.com
> > fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
> >
> > On a second attempt to initiate the connection, the error always goes
> > away. I do believe this is some type of DNS error with pppd, but I'm not
> > adequately knowledgeable about networking & DNS to understand. I'm
> > running Debian 3.0, with 2.2.20, and ppp 2.4.1.uus-4.
> >
> > I'm in the midst of trying to get ipmasq working and I think this problem is
> > preventing from achieving success. I'm a very frustrated newbie.
> >
> > My /etc/resolv.conf file:
> > domain debian
> > nameserver 207.69.188.185
> > nameserver 207.69.188.186
> >
> > How can I troubleshoot?
> >
> > Please help,
> > Barry Mathieu
> >

> > --
> >

> Are you sure you are letting pppd connect fully before trying to ping?
> Get the IP of pop.mindspring.com and next time that happens try pinging
> just the IP, if that works, but pinging the name failes, then you have
> a DNS problem for sure.
>
> The line:
> domain debian
>
> in your /etc/resolv.conf probably isn't helping. Its better to use
> search rather than domain. If you don't have a domain of your own,
> I'd just use mindspring.com or maybe the domain of your dialup IP.
>

> --

I successfully ping'ed using and IP address rather than a name. The
first response of the ping returned no data, but that was obviously
due to the PPP connection not being completed.

ping 207.69.200.129
PING 207.69.200.129 (207.69.200.129): 56 data bytes
ping: wrote 207.69.200.129 64 chars, ret=-1
64 bytes from 207.69.200.129: icmp_seq=29 ttl=58 time=180.1 ms
64 bytes from 207.69.200.129: icmp_seq=30 ttl=58 time=170.0 ms
64 bytes from 207.69.200.129: icmp_seq=31 ttl=58 time=160.0 ms

I also edited the resolv.conf, which is now:

search mindspring.com
nameserver 207.69.188.185
nameserver 207.69.188.186

Unfortunately, adding "search mindspring.com" did not solve the problem.
That is, when I simply type, "ping pop.mindspring.com" I still get:

ping pop.mindspring.com
ping: unknown host pop.mindspring.com

When I then re-enter "ping pop.mindspring.com" I receive return data.
I don't seem to be negotiating DNS on the first connection attempt with
demand dialing.

Does demand dialing simply not work?

Any ideas for options or troubleshooting?

Thanks for the help,
Barry Mathieu