Re: Newbie networking problems; pppd with Woody.

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 21:05, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I've been frustrated for a long time about a problem I'm having with DNS
> lookup. The first time I try to initiate internet connection with pppd I
> consistently receive the following type error:
>
> barry@debian:/etc/ipmasq$ ping pop.mindspring.com
> ping: unknown host pop.mindspring.com
>
> -or-
>
> fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop.mindspring.com
> fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
>
> On a second attempt to initiate the connection, the error always goes
> away. I do believe this is some type of DNS error with pppd, but I'm not
> adequately knowledgeable about networking & DNS to understand. I'm
> running Debian 3.0, with 2.2.20, and ppp 2.4.1.uus-4.
>
> I'm in the midst of trying to get ipmasq working and I think this problem is
> preventing from achieving success. I'm a very frustrated newbie.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf file:
> domain debian
> nameserver 207.69.188.185
> nameserver 207.69.188.186
>
> How can I troubleshoot?

Try adding:

search mindspring.com

above your first nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf

Also, if fetchmail is being started from pon.d try adding a sleep
statement to the beginning of the fetchmail script to allow a few
seconds for the connection to settle down before fetchmail is started.

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com