Re: Help compiling 3CR990-TX-97 driver...

This one time, at band camp, Carl Fenley said:

> I have installed Debian three times previously, but I've always been able to
> install from the internet using 'compact' floppy kernel.  Well, I don't know
> of ANY linux distribution that has a ready-to-use driver for the 3Com
> 3CR990-TX-97 server-class NIC, but 3Com offers the source code and a '.h'
> file for download.
>
> Following the compile instructions in the README file, I notice the
> command-line calls for something from '/usr/src/linux/include', which does
> not exist on my system.  I have downloaded and decompressed the 2.2.19
> kernel source beneath '/usr/src'.  Is it acceptable to replace the 'linux'
> directory with the 'kernel-source-2.2.19' directory in the gcc command-line?
>
> The README compile instructions also call for the use of
> '/usr/include/linux/modversions.h' in the command-line options, and although
> that path does exist on my system; there is no such file as modversions.h on
> my system.

If it is looking for /usr/src/linux/, give it to it:
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.19/ /usr/src/linux
That or rename the kernel tree.  I think that modversions.h is generated
after a successful kernel compile, although I'm not sure.

HTH,
Steve
--
At work, the authority of a person is inversely proportional to the
number of pens that person is carrying.