rpc: can mount nfs partition

I am having a problem (client side, debian woody 3.0
kernel 2.4.18) mounting a nfs partition from a openbsd server.
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

showmount -e  reveals that the partition is ready to be mounted from
the server.
I have put the proper entry in /etc/fstab on the client side.

`ps uax' reveals that /sbin/portmap is running, what else needs to be running?
what am i missing?

It appears to me that my problem is on the client side but it won't be
the first time if i am wrong.

Any ideas?

TIA

-mUs