Re: choice of software

On Monday 04 November 2002 21:38, james leclair wrote:
> Hello,

Hello, too;-)

> We currently run a variety if Debian products in the mail and file
> serving areas. Now we are investigating the possiblity of running Debian
> products on our desktops. Could someone please recommend what packages
> we should be running in the following areas for our desktop machines
> should we switch to Debian?

First you should decide, which Desktop Environment (KDE, Gnome) you want
to use, or if you want to use a more light-weight windowmanager
(enlightenment, blackbox, fluxbox, and many more).

Desktop Environments have the benefit, that their programs tend to work
together quite well and have the same look-and-feel, whereas "pure"
windowmanagers encourage you to pick out the best suited programs for your
needs.

> Essentially what packages should we look to
> add to our Debian desktops. By the way, Debian server products are
> outstanding!!!
>
> Example:
>                :multimedia(music, movies, photo editing)
Assuming you don't want to manipulate music/movies, following packages may
be worth a look:
- music:
  +mpg321 -- plays mp3-files, console-based
  +ogg123 (vorbis-tools) -- plays ogg-vorbis-files, console-based
  +cplay  -- provides easy-to-use interface to other programs like
    mpg321/ogg123, console based
  +xmms -- a winamp lookalike
  +noatun -- kde's mediaplayer
  +rythmbox -- a media-player for gnome (well, i don't know it, but a quick
    apt-cache search returned it)
Personally I prefer the console-based applications, but who cares;-)

- movies:
  +xine -- plays movies, works well for me;-)
  +mplay -- not yet a debian-package, but look's promising..
  +others: Anyone got alternatives/better ones?

- photo editing:
  +gimp -- Tried it, loved it. Don't care about others.

>                :mail clients
  +kmail -- the client of kde. Using kde i use kmail, too.
  +mutt -- some people i know swear on it; console based
  +evolution -- non-free client from ximian. Offers calender, etc.(a bit
    like outlook on windows)
  +gnome ought to have its own client, too
>                :game playing
>
> Thanks,
> James

Hope I could help you,
  Johannes

--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great
Dictator