Re: TCPA

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 02:00:39PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> I don't think that TCPA will kill open software.  But I do think that
> it's part of an ongoing effort to erode the freedoms which are behind
> open software.

Agreed 100%.  I said previously in this thread that I don't care if
content owners start providing their bits only in DRM enabled formats.
Well, that's not strictly true.  I don't personally care much about
content, 'cause I don't think Hollywood puts out many movies worth
watching.  However, I do not like the general trend towards restricting
what people are able to do with published material.  I think this is why
we should strongly oppose TCPA and similar initiatives, not out of fear
that it's an attempt to kill open source.

I don't think that Microsoft is necessarilly the evil bad guy in the DRM
war.  Certainly they're not on our side, but they're only pushing DRM
because Hollywood is pressuring them to.  I don't think MS supports the
CBDTPA (the law that would require all digital media devices to
implement DRM), and I know that the hardware vendors are opposed to it.
RIAA, MPAA, and the like are the ones who really want it.

noah