Re: video on laptop - Compaq Armada 1750

On Sunday 03 November 2002 00:25, David Pastern wrote:
> Olivier Esser said on 2 November 2002 10:59 PM
>
> Subject: Re: video on laptop - Compaq Armada 1750
>
> >video="vga16:off" disable the framebuffer (a mean to use the console in
> >graphic mode; which allow to see the linux pinguin).
> >
> >To disable it permanently put
> >
> >append="video=vga16:off"
> >
> >just after image= ...
> >
> >in /etc/lilo.conf
> >
> >(I have also had to disable it for a laptop computer)
>
> Oliver (or anyone else for that matter),
>
> I tried this and i'm pretty sure it does not seem to be working.  This is
> how i've set lilo up...
>
> image=/vmlinuz
> 	label=Linux
> 	read-only
> 	append="video=vga16:off"
> #	restricted
> #	alias=1
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
> 	label=LinuxOLD
> 	read-only
> 	optional
> 	append="video=vga16:off"
> #	restricted
> #	alias=2
>
> Now I did a kernel recompile last nite to try and get my soundcard working
> on my machine (separate issue) and that seems to have fixed the video issue
> from what I can see/test.  I had the vmlinuz and a vmlinuz.old kernel in
> lilo.conf, so I edited the new image details (as above) to include the
> append details for vga...I then booted into it and video worked fine.  So I
> tried the same with the old kernel image (vmlinuz.old) - resultant attempt
> to boot into that linux kernel ended up with the same white screen much to
> my angst - leading me to think that the append isn't working.  I then
> tested it further by removing the append details from the vmlinuz in
> lilo.conf and it still booted up ok.  I find that really odd, since I
> didn't touch video cards at all during recompile.  Really odd.  New kernel
> recompile should not work without the append.  The only thing I can think
> of is that i've put the append in the wrong place.  If so corrections much
> appreciated.
>
> Now onto the 2nd part of my post...don't get me wrong guys i'm not bagging
> Debian here - i'm offering constructive criticisms here.  Surely, if a much
> older version of Redhat (version 7.0) can successfully autodetect and
> pickup both my video card and soundcard on this laptop then surely Debian
> should be able to.  Debian did NOT auto detect either video or soundcard.
> I'd say this is the sort of thing that sparked the debate on those 2 debian
> reviews a week and a bit ago.  The ATI rage pro light is a commonly used
> card on laptops and has been supported since v4 of XF86 I believe.  It
> SHOULD be autodetected and setup during install of Debian IMHO.  I
> shouldn't have to manually tell debconf etc to use the ATI module.  Sure I
> knew to select that, but a lot of other people would have gotten caught out
> by that.

> [...]

Here is the way, I have configured my /etc/lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4oliv
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="video=vga16:off"
#       restricted
#       alias=1

Have you not forget to run lilo after changing this file? You can see which
kernel you are running with 'uname -r'.

For the sound card; you will not probably have to recompile the kernel. If
you use the default kernel; the correct modules will probably already exists
for you (anyway if you recompile the kernel; load the default configuration
file in /boot/config-<kernel version>; and change only the sections you
understand).  To enable the sound card you will have to put the name of the
correct module in /etc/modules to tell the system to load it at boot time. To
know which module you need type "lspci -vv" to know exactly which sound card
you have and then make a search on google (you can maybe also find it
pressing the help at the configuration of the kernel; but I repeat recompile
the kernel is probably not necessary). You will then have to add yoursel to
the audio group in "/etc/group" (like audio:x:<some number>:<your name>).
After you have made all of your changes; reboot the system.

I know that Debian does not detect anyhing unlike Red Had or MS windows.
Although I am only a user of Debian; I believe that Red Hat, unlike Debian,
*have* to sell its products and that is maybe the reason. Debian has
advantages though: a lot of software and upgrading facility. If you want to
use Debian or linux in general; there are a lot of informative howto's.
Understanding the man pages is not so difficult, just persevere!

Yours,

Olivier Esser