RE: Microsoft's plans to kill open source: TCPA

website previously posted on Sunday 03/11/2002

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Very interesting read.  I don't know about America, but Australia has things
called referendums.  They're hard to force, but if public opinion is strong
enough the Australia government generally will set up a referendum.  We
really need to kill this idea NOW.  Stop it before companies like Intel and
Microsoft can fully introduce it.  I'm not stupid, most governments secretly
want it, it will allow them to TOTALLY control us.  They'll let
microsoft/intel introduce it and then hijack the standards themselves
(pissing intel/microsoft off in the process no doubt).  The best way is to
send that email link off to every friend, relative that you have.  Talk to
them, explain to them what it will mean, what it potentially will (OK we all
know it will) do.  The public *must* voice its opinion on this now to all
world governments and stop it.  It is anti competitive for starters (but hey
i've long said the US government is corrupt), but I don't see it being
stopped because of that.  Say, my .doc file won't open in either star office
or openoffice.  Hell, my old pc is useless (can't surf the net etc etc etc)
because it doesn't conform to the new chipsets/palladium software.  We'll be
blackmailed into accepting this shite (shite: noun, commonly used in
Ireland, meaning totally shit).

Personally, i'm very anti religion, very anti government, very anti modern
fiscal policy.  They are all evil implementations of control over the normal
populace.

For those that haven't read it/heard it, the US senate recently passed a
bill allowing the RIAA, recording companies, movie studios et al to DDos or
virus attack software pirates, with no ramifications from the law.  Well...I
call that hypocrisy personally.  I really want to see this happen cos then
crackers worldwide will unite and take down these dickheads (although they'd
be employing the same tactics its illegal, go figure).

What is this all about?  Three things.  Money.  Power.  Control.  Sorry, but
this boy doesn't like being controlled.  How many of you guys build your own
PCs from oem hardware?  I bet quite a few.  You can kiss that goodbye under
the palladium consortium.  It'll be something like "sorry, this is oem
hardware, not an official build from dell etc, so it won't boot.  We'll be
forced to use old hardware, old software, won't be able to even share
documents with friends and families because our "old" hardware isn't
palladium compatible.  Makes you wonder eh?  Let's see...another example.
Oh, this new software.  It won't work unless you have a particular hardware
set, say a intel pentium 6, 7ghz CPU.  If you have anything less than that
the software won't play (not because of technical merits, but because
marketing wants you to buy a new shiny CPU).

Remember this is a US led idea, by US based companies.  Why the fuck should
it affect or control the world?  I'm not being anti us here in general (the
people are fine, the government sucks major - but then all governments do).
The US industry(ies) and government do not have the right to introduce
legislation locally and then expect that to be rammed down every other
countries throat(s).  Sure they can introduce it in USA.  I have no problems
with that.  But these large corporations shouldn't then try and ram it down
my throat as I live in Australia.  This is what they are trying to do, by
trying to make palladium a world wide movement.

Bah...my 2nd dummyspit/whine for November...and I only wanted to do it
once....oh well

Dave