Re: html as background

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 23:13, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:

> > Hello Lance,
> >
> > On Nov  2, Lance Hoffmeyer <lance@augustmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > |  Anyone know if there is a way to put an htnl page
> > |  as a background in a window manager (windowmaker)?
> >
> > Hmmm.  Load it in a web browser, print to file, convert the ps to a jpg
> > or something, then set that to be the background?
> >

> This is what I am trying to do-- but automatically from a console.
> Galeon will save as *.ps file.  But does w3m,links, or wget save as
> *.ps file?  How can I write a script (bash, perl) to go to a website
> and dump the html page as a *.ps file (or gif,jpeg...)?
>
> I am basically trying to get a local weather forecast off the web
> and use it as a background on my desktop.

htmldoc I have found to render HTML most beautifully as postscript. It
has a gui but can also be launched scripted-style from the shell.

Use lynx to download your webpage in your script as html. Use htmldoc to
render it to postscript. And the pstools to turn the postscript into an
image.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington