Re: SPAM fiiltering - spam breakdown

hi david

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, David Z Maze wrote:

> Alvin Oga <aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:
> > if  i was gonna tagg an email ( spam ) for later processing ...
> > i might as well have spent the 1 second to check it the first
> > time and hit the "D" key  ... instead of looking at that email twice
>
> Does your MUA have some concept of folders?  What I do is have all of

i do NOT want to receive spams...
	- i dont want it to occupy expensive disk space in
	/var/spool/{mail,spamstuff}

	- i want the spam to bounce and go back to the
	spammers /var/spool/mail/{root,postmaster} mailboxes

	- 1/2 of the 2,000 spams they tried to send in Oct fails headers
	and messageID tests and subject line tests
	( i dont see the spam at all - which is what i want )

	- there is no need for content checking

i do NOT want to go check the potential spams  again ... it just costs me
double or triple  to process/check the spam the 2nd time

> >   - my "spam" rules/definition ...
> >
> >        Deny access from all open relays
> >        use Global RBLs and localized RBLs
>
> To reiterate what previous messages have said about RBLs: you're
> basically depending on someone else's arbitrary decision on what's

yup.. i agree... but...

until i get my own rbls setup... i'll continue to use other peoples
"automated" rbls... and automated antispam features in the MTA

and i assume they are bright enough to keep a copy of the spam that was
used as evidence to add their email address or domain to their rbl list

and probably will continue to use other people's software until i can
write my own better/worst version or find a better one that does a better
job  that does the same thing

have fun
alvin