Re: X causes system 'black screeen of death'

>when you load X, use 'startx' like this:

>startx >&~/X.log

I tried this but it didn't like the &, so I removed it, but it did not create
the file X.LOG in my home dir.

p.s.  What is the & for?

the & tells the system to redirectall putput to that file, standard out
and standard error. try

startx >&/home/user/X.log

if nothing happens, check X.log, see what it says. I use this method
often to debug X problems.

without the & sybmol only standard out will go to the log file, not
standard error(or maybe its the other way around) and the result is
usually an empty file(like you noticed).

nate