Re: How to format and partitionate a disk?

Mariano Kamp <mkamp@gmx.de> writes:
> Another question. I have a box with SuSE left and want to upgrade it
> to debian. The box has now two hds and I want to keep the second drive
> for the time beeing and after the new system is alive and kicking I will
> format it. What do I need to do to get the drive formated and to install
> a journaled file system?

Once you have the system installed, you can run /sbin/fdisk as root to
(re)partition a hard drive (or cfdisk, or sfdisk apparently).  Having
partitioned, you also need to create a filesystem; the general
invocation is to run /sbin/mkfs.(filesystem type) on the partition you
care about.

> What journaled file systems are mature enough to be used? reiserfs?

I'm generally happy with ext3; since it's just a thin layer on top of
ext2, stability is pretty good and the tools you care about (fsck :-)
are already written.  If your goal is just "avoid a long fsck when the
system dies" ext3 is probably a fine pick, but if you have loftier
goals like "happily support a single directory with tens of thousands
of files" you might want to do independent research into your options.

	-- Abra Mitchell