Re: OT:Re: lsmod question (was....Sound issues using 2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs and SB Live! 5.1)

Shawn Lamson said:

> I thought that Linus was quoted as saying that the function of the kernel
> should not be to pass messages to modules.  That it should
> interact directly with hardware.  (obviously I am not quoting here).  ie.
> the kernel _should_ be monolithic.  Why are they going to
> "module-only" kernels?  Can you point me to an article on this?

i'll try to dig it up tomorrow. I don't know if it was set in stone
but I belive I read it in kernel traffic a few months ago. i've been
searching on google for about 15 minutes and can't find the reference
to it. hopefully i'm wrong but it really sticks out in my head so
i'm almost certain I read it. it wasn't a full thread from what
I remember, just a passing reference that future kernels(or the next
kernel) would be all modules, I'm still lookin, but searching for
words like 'linus kernel module only' comes up with a zillion
results. I either read it on kernel traffic, or lwn.net's kernel
section not too long ago(2-3 months tops I think).

still looking

nate