Re: Debian GNU/LInux 3.0 - Win4Lin 4.0

nate wrote:

Bob Nielsen said:

I've used both.  VMware ran pathetically slow on a K6-350 with 128 MB,
while Win4Lin was at least as fast as running it natively.  However, not
all apps run with Win4Lin and I didn't find anything I couldn't use with
VMware.  I'm sure with a faster machine (and a lot of memory, which is
dirt-cheap right now) VMware would be satisfactory.

Netraverse doesn't officially support Debian, but has some "unofficial"
.deb files on their web site (you need to register to access them).  You
will also need to patch the kernel source and recompile.

yeah, I don't reccomend VMWare for any serious use without 512MB of ram.
And that is running with 1 virtual machine with 96MB of ram allocated to
it. 2 virtual machines is possible but things slow down somewhat. 256MB
of system ram is barely usable in my opinion with a virtual machine that
has 96MB of ram allocated to it(for me anything under 96MB is unusable)

it is quite entertaining to see 4 virtual machines running at the
same time on my afterstep desktop though! 5 OSs on 1 cpu!(1gb ram)

nate

We found that as well as RAM, a dual proc SMP box helped a great deal with VMWare.

John P Foster
Senior Research Scientist
Golden Orb Technologies LTD