Re: alsaplayer problems

H. S. Teoh wrote:

> [Please Cc: replies to me, I'm not subscribed to debian-user]
>
> I'm having problems using alsaplayer. For some reason, everything works
> perfectly as root, but when I try to run it under a non-root user, it
> fails with the following:
>
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (362 743039)
> PERIOD_SIZE: [16 32768]
> PERIOD_BYTES: [64 131072]
> PERIODS: (0 2048]
> BUFFER_TIME: (1451 743039)
> BUFFER_SIZE: [64 32768]
> BUFFER_BYTES: [256 131072]
> TICK_TIME: 10000
> failed to configure output device...trying OSS
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (362 743039)
> PERIOD_SIZE: [16 32768]
> PERIOD_BYTES: [64 131072]
> PERIODS: (0 2048]
> BUFFER_TIME: (1451 743039)
> BUFFER_SIZE: [64 32768]
> BUFFER_BYTES: [256 131072]
> TICK_TIME: 10000
> failed to configure output device...trying OSS
> error on set_period_size (0)
> error on set_period_size (0)
>

> The thing is, said user already belongs to group 'audio', and I've checked
> that /dev/snd/* and /dev/sound/* are all writable by audio. (I use DevFS.)
> Furthermore, alsamixer works under said user without any problems, and
> even aplay works. I don't understand why alsaplayer doesn't. I think I
> must be missing something obvious. Any ideas?

Strangely enough, the only way I can make it work is --

alsaplayer -o oss

And yes I am using ALSA sound drivers.

Paul

- --
* For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,    *
* that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16    *
* W. Paul Mills * mailto:Paul@Mills-USA.com * http://Mills-USA.com/ *
* GnuPGPrint = 09BB FDEA 69E5 0E55 3843  B063 BB8B 518A B293 3D8C   *