Re: a good file manager - any suggestions?

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:56, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

> it has been almost a week since i shifted to linux and it has been
> wonderful.
>
> one thing that i am missing is a file manager like explorer. two paned.
> left side tree, right side contents of directory.

I once wanted the same thing and kept being repeatedly frustrated by
nautilus, gmc and countless others. Then I discovered gentoo. Once I had
overcome my former addiction to "two paned. left side tree, right side
contents of directory" interfaces and impregnated myself with the Norton
Commander way, I found out I had become noticeably more productive in
dealing with file shuffling, especially when took upon myself to
memorize some basic regular expression syntax : regex file selection is
wonderful !

It's very fast, very clean, very configurable and I have always found
it's default behavior to be remarkably consistent. If it just had a few
more file types recognized in the default install and if the default
program associations were in harmony with the rest of the desktop it
would be even better although that's nothing that you can't fix
yourselves as you encounter unknown types.

apt-cache show gentoo

is a file manager for X11, written from scratch in pure C. It utilises
the GTK+ toolkit for its interface. A goal with gentoo is to let the
user do all configuration from within the program itself; there should
be no need to hand-edit configuration files and restart the program in
order to customize it.

gentoo features a fairly complex and powerful file identification
system, coupled to a object-oriented style system, which together give
you a lot of control over how files of different types are displayed and
acted upon.