using external VGA as separate display

hi,

WinXP of all things allows you to control a laptop's external VGA
connector as a separate display, totally independent of the internal
LCD. Can this be done in XF86 (4.2.1 here, thanks Branden + XFTF!)?

The reason I ask is because I have an LCD that does 1400x1050 and any
lower resolution is just too fuzzy. And I also have an external
monitor that can do 1280x1024, but not 1400x1050. I prefer to work
with the external monitor as it's bigger and better in terms of
ergonomical placement. But I don't feel like restarting X to set a new
resolution every time I connect to the external monitor.
Alt-Ctrl-Numlock+ and Alt-Ctrl-Numlock- don't work (they produce crazy
patterns on the screen for all resolutions but the one I started out
with. Maybe that's a framebuffer issue.

It would rock if I could use the external VGA separately from the
internal one (it's a Radeon Mobility M6 LY driving this baby) because
then I could have a dual-headed setup, which would be incredible!

Any hints appreciated!

"it appears that pl/i (and its dialects) is, or will be, the most widely
 used higher level language for systems programming."
                                                          -- j. sammet