Re: Using Linux system as an X terminal

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 15:33, David Gaudine wrote:

> I changed one of my systems to act as an X terminal by changing
> one line of /etc/initab and adding another line as follows:
> id:5:initdefault:
> 7:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query systemname
>
> This seems to work.  Is there anything "wrong" with doing it this way?
> Is it appropriate to use run level 5?  Is there a list somewhere
> telling the difference between run levels 2, 3, 4, or 5?
>
> David

I can't speak to most of the questions, but for the last one, Debian
makes no distinction between runlevels 2-5 out of the box, so that users
can specify the levels as appropriate for there needs. Since most Linux
systems aren't switching runlevels a dozen times a day, this tends to be
an area I would presume that most people don't make massive distinctions
amongst - possibly just installing or uninstalling the services globally
instead of tweaking the specific runlevels.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org