Re: Nothing prints anymore!

> This one time, at band camp, Marc Shapiro said:
> > A few days ago my system just stopped printing anything.  Nothing
> > through Netscape.  Nothing through WordPerfect.  Nothing with 'lp
> > filename'.  Even if, as  root, I do a 'cat filename > /dev/lp0', I get
> > nothing.
> >
> > If I do 'lpq' it says :
> >
> > Printer: lp@local 'HP Deskjet 400'
> >  Queue: no printable jobs in queue
> >  Server: no server active
> >  Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size
> > Time
> > done   mns@local+609                A   609 (STDIN)               9014
> > 09:08:42
> > done   root@local+635               A   635 orphan_files            94
> > 09:14:58
> >
> > The line that says 'no server active' is the one that disturbs me.  What
> > did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?
>
> /etc/init.d/<your_print_server> restart?
>
> Did you do an upgrade of it recently?  Something that might have caused
> it to be restarted that failed?  Did you change anything?
>
> Steve

No.  No upgrades.  I have powered down the system completely and
restarted.  Twice.  The results are the same.  lpq still says 'no server
active'.  lprng gets started when the system reboots and I didn't see
any errors on boot.  Would the message get logged somewhere and not show
on the console while the system is booting?

--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com                you will live to be 150 years old,