procmail "safety net"

OK -- I got courier IMAP up and running. Now, I'd like procmail to
sort and deliver to the maildir foldres I've got created. Right now I
pick up with fetchmail and it drops everything in
/var/mail/username plain old mbox style. I want procmail to do the same
thing at first so I can add recipes one at a time and get them working.
I've been through a lot of the procmail docs but haven't seen anything
that specifically says it is OK to set the default mailbox to
/var/mail/username as an mbox style file and ALSO send messages to
maildir style boxes with recipes. Is it OK to mix the two mailbox styles
and use /var/mail/username as the default "fallthrough" box?

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com