From: Bob Nielsen [mailto:nielsen@oz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 5:17 PM
To: Debian-User@Lists. Debian. Org
Subject: Re: Email (Solved)...next...POP3 setup

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 11:49:31AM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Carel,
>
> OK, I got it.
>
> It was the permissions on the K-mail client program itself. It was root
root
> for userme and root is set to receive no mail.
>
> ...now...on to POP3 configuration...I am using qpopper. I see the
> qpopper.conf in /etc/ but the package installed with no configuration
dialog
> and the instructions say to configure using ./configure which I assume is
> from the install directory, only there is no install directory...

Those instructions are from the original .tar.gz source.  ./configure
is used to create the Makefile prior to compiling the program.  The
source documentation is usually (?) installed as part of a Debian
package, but since it is already compiled, you do not need to do this.

There is probably something else in the documentation which describes
what configuration you need to do, if any.  Check the file listing
"dpkg -L qpopper" and see what was installed.  Check any man pages
shown.

> ...or...any better suggestions for a POP3 server?

I have used both qpopper and cucipop, but am currently running popa3d,
which doesn't require any configuration and is both simple and secure.

Bob