Emacs and ALT Key in New Debian Installation

I recently installed Debian (Woody 3.0), and I have Emacs 21.  I have found that
the ALT key does not work.  When I go to use M-X as a prefix, or when I need to
use the ALT key for any command, all I get is a beep, and nothing else happens.

The ALT key works as a META key just fine when working from a real console
(without X).  It is only in X that it doesn't work.  This is irritating, because
for instance, when scrolling backwards, I have to keep hitting ESC V, instead of
holding down the ALT key and hitting V.

Any ideas on why my ALT key doesn't work?  Thanks in advance,

--
Mark Seven Smith:  |  markvii  |  AKA: Pampaluz
Registered Linux User #122264, Debian GNU/Linux