Re: ext2 ext3 ?

    "Gerard" == Gerard Robin <robin.jag@free.fr> writes:

    Gerard> I did 'mkinitrd /lib/modules/2.4.18-386' and I have got
    Gerard> strange things on my screen but it doesn't work.

Don't worry too much about it. Forget mkinitrd unless you really,
really know what you are doing ;-)

The reason you got the strange stuff is that you did not give mkinitrd
a '-o outfile' option, so it just wrote the cramfs file system to your
console! It actually worked fine!

You don't need to build a mkinitrd image if you are using the standard
Debian 2.4.18 kernel. I don't mean to be patronizing, but in my
opinion it has been much more educational for me to learn how to use
the standard kernel than to recompile a custom kernel every time I ran
into trouble with the standard kernel. I use Debian on 5 computers. On
only one did I need to build a custom kernel, and that was because the
hardware was broken and I had to patch a driver to get things to work.

Cheers!
Shyamal