Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 19:25, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> On 01 Oct 2002 18:23:40 +0100 Peter Whysall <peter.whysall@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Terseness is not always bad. I always try to respond to a politely
> > asked, well-structured question in kind; I personally think that people
> > who post only links to documentation are basically insulting people's
> > intelligence. We can all drive Google.
>
> Really?  A number of the questions that have been asked on the list are
> answered within the first three to five hits on Google using simple key
> words from the original posters e-mail.  This would seem to indicate that
> your statement is incorrect.

You and I both know that there is a right and a wrong way to ask about
things. When I post a question here, I've always done my homework first
and have exhausted my own resources.

However, many people who post here are inexperienced, and have reached a
point of frustration where their experience with Debian might come to an
abrupt end if someone doesn't do a little hand-holding.

I would much rather repeat myself than potentially lose a new user who
is likely to think "stuff this, I'll go get me some Red Hat.".

I think that's what I was trying to get at.

And no, it wasn't your post that was terse :-)
--
Peter Whysall
peter.whysall@ntlworld.moc