Re: galeon and its problems (was: tabbed browsing as 'zilla's default)

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 06:44, martin f krafft wrote:

> It's a cool browser, light and fast. And nevertheless, I am having
> problems with it (version from sarge). From what I can tell right now,
> the only things that keep me from letting galeon replace opera on my
> various desktops are:
>
>   (a) dependencies; that i could live with i guess.

Why develop your own libraries when you can use someone else's work.
However, faster development means more dependencies for the developed
product. Fortunately, you have Debian to work that out for you :-)

>   (b) keyboard control; i am failing to switch to the next tab with
>       ctrl-right and ctrl-left, and i can't close tabs with ctrl-w.
>       furthermore, i want to make ctrl-n bring up a new tab.

Hmm, my galeon uses ctl-Prior and ctl-Next (the PgUp and PgDown keys for
switching tabs). Closing tabs with ctl-w works, but the tab area needs
the focus. Sometimes the url entry field has the focus, and then ctl-w
has a different meaning. My galeon uses ctl-n for new window and ctl-t
for new tab.

It's trivially easy to change the key-bindings, if there is a
corresponding menu item for the action: click (not click-and-hold) on
the menu and move the mouse pointer until the item you want to change is
highlighted. Then, type the keybinding you prefer. Voila. Note this
works with most gnome programs.

>   (d) it keeps forgetting the homepage i set. on every restart, it's
>       back to gnome.org (#145017)

Dunno, mine doesn't do that.

>   (e) it forgets the mailer selection and always goes back to Gnome

Ditto.

>   (f) it crashes frequently on X cut'n'paste

Never had a crash with middle-button cut'n'paste.

>   (g) in general, it crashes frequently and usually forgets some to
>       a lot of the user preferences. that's a pain.

I get very few crashes with galeon. I typically run a session for days
at a time, and with some fairly intensive browsing (dozens of tabs
opened at once, across multiple windows).

> i have found no bugreports but the one on the above. maybe because
> i am at fault?

It sounds like a gconf problem. Galeon's use of gconf has evolved, and
you might have some old settings that are causing problems. You should
try running galeon-config-tool with all 4 options (--clean-schemas,
--install-schemas, --fix-gconf-permissions, --clean). Run the first 3 as
root and the last as yourself. This will give you a clean slate to start
out with.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA