Re: onboard Ac'97 chipset was: Re: problem with sound card from a newbie

Rebecca Dridan wrote:
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 02:13:46AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
<SNIP>

Kent (or anyone else who knows),

How did you get your onboard AC'97 chipset (via8233) working?  I've just
bought a Gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard with this chip and can't get sound
working. I'm running woody, with kernel 2.4.19 (from
kernel-source-2.4.19-1) and I tries installing the alsa packages, but
every time I got the via8233 module (and it's dependancies) loaded, my
whole system froze - network, keyboard - hard reset necessary. I can't
find any relevant messages in the logs.

If it is of any relevance, I'm running the NVIDIA kernel and GLX modules
for my GeForce 4MX.

If you've got step-by-step instructions, or some hints for where to
look, I'd appreciate it.

It's been forever since I had to get it working, and I don't have any step-by-steps, but the general idea was to compile a 2.4.18 kernel, including module support for the via8233, then apt-get the alsa stuff (seems like there were three relevant packages -- I'm not at that machine currently to see what I've got installed; IIRC alsa-modules was one of them). I think I wound up manually compiling the alsa-modules (./configure, make, make install), and then modprobing the resulting via82xxx-snd module.

I wish I could give you a step-by-step, but I just don't remember. Sorry.

About the only general suggestion I could make would be to recompile the kernel and strip it down to a more minimal setup (don't worry about NVIDIA or accelerated X, or USB support (unless needed for keyboard/mouse), etc), just for testing purposes. Once you get sound working, assuming you do, then you can go back and add all the bells and whistles.

Also, don't load the sound modules from within X, again, to keep things simple for testing purposes.

Kent