Re: Symlink clarification needed (vi -> vim)

This one time, at band camp, Elimar Riesebieter said:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 the mental interface of
> Robert Ian Smit told:
>
> > I know that some programs react differently depending on how they
> > are called. When you create a symlink to a program, does the program
> > know that it was started by using a symlink?
> >
> > For instance when I create a vi symlink to vim, will vim start up
> > normally or will it mimick vi?
> Just type vim to start vim. I can't verify your problem?
>
> HTH

Ordinarily, no.  Generally it's not symlinks that affect the behavior of
a program.  If it's something managed by Debian's alternatives system,
it's because the symlink for /usr/bin/vi is pointing to
/etc/alternatives/vi, which is in turn pointing to a more vi-like
program than vim.  The other time you might see behavior like this would
be if /usr/bin/vi is a wrapper script that invoked vim with vi-like
options, but this isn't the case.

HTH,
Steve

--
 All generalisations are dangerous, including this one.