Re: quake/RTCW firewall rules

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:58:25 -0400
"John F Davis" <johndavi@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was trying to run a RTCW(quake 3) server behind my firewall last
> night. I setup the firewall iptable rules to forware udp packets of
> 27690(from memory) to my server.  My friend and I were able to play
> but he said his connection was very poor.

In what way? Packet loss? Ping times?

> I have a 768/128K dsl line and I realize my upstream connection is not
> that great but I figured we should have been able to play ok.

The usual problem with Quake-like games is not the bandwidth but the
network latency / ping.

> Also, I tried to run just a dedicated server and he said the
> connection was equally as bad.
>
> I have p3 1.2Ghz 512Meg machine.  My firewall is a p1 200Mhz and it
> does nothing but
> serve as a firewall.
>
> Any idea what would be the problem?

If feasable, try out another ISP. Ping times may differ a lot between
different ISPs.

> Do I have to configure the firewall for tcp ports as well?

No, the Quake games don't use TCP connections.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!