Re: Symlink clarification needed (vi -> vim)

Robert Ian Smit wrote:

> I know that some programs react differently depending on how they
> are called. When you create a symlink to a program, does the program
> know that it was started by using a symlink?

It's dependant on your C library (although that should be fairly
standard across OS) but the only behaviour I have seen is that argv[0]
is the name of the executable as given on the command line, and
therefore,
if vim emulates vi when the executable is called vi, then it will also
emulate vi when executed via a symlink called vi.

Tom