Re: Upgrading from Potato to Woody on a Live Machine

Robert James Kaes wrote:
Hello,
Are there any problems with upgrading a machine from potato to woody while
it's live (in other words, not in single user level.)  The machine in
question is a production machine that I don't not want to have down for
any longer than required.

If there is no problem doing this (upgrading the distro while in run-level
3), is there a recommended order?  I'm assuming it would be best to
upgrade libc6 and then apt-utils and then do an "apt-get upgrade".  Is
this correct, or would another way be better?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
	-- Robert

I just did an upgrade from Debian 2.2r2 (early Potato) to Woody yesterday without any problems. I used "apt-get deselect-upgrade" to do it. One caveat.. it was a very basic Potato install... in fact it was a "base" install without any apps from either dselect or tasksel applied. I would recommend reading the install / upgrade instructions in the release notes first.

YMMV.

Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-