Re: intell i830 and kernel 2.4.19

Thanks for reply!
On Tuesday 24 September 2002 02:58, Alwyn Schoeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible for you to recompile the 2.4.19 kernel from source again?
> If so, recompile and make sure that you have the IDE support compiled in
> and not specified as a module. This is probably the reason why it cannot
> find root, but it can be lilo too...
I installed by apt-get. Now I can load by it but while booting it says that
the root file system is readonly, and it boots without any module. It is
using initrd.img and I think something is wrong with that?

> Also compile it by doing:
> make-kpkg --revision=mykernel.1 kernel_image
> The mykernel.1 can be anything and you'll need kernel-package package to
> use make-kpkg.
> Now you should have something like
> kernel-image_2.4.19-mykernel.1_i386.deb.
> Do a dpkg -i kernel-image-blah blah.deb to install.
> It will install a new lilo boot image for you.  DO NOT REBOOT! First
> check /etc/lilo.conf to make sure it is correct and do /sbin/lilo -v
> just to make sure all the links are like you want it.
>
> If you put in IDE support and lilo is correct then you should be able to
> boot into linux with kernel 2.4.19.
>
> NB. What I usually do is copy the /boot/config-2.4.18???  file that the
> installation created into my /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19 file as
> .config.
> E.g.  cp /boot/config-2.4.18??? /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/.config
> Then I change into /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19.
> Do a make oldconfig of is it make old-config and answer questions about
> new drivers.
> Then do make menuconfig or make xconfig to customize.
> Then do the above below "Also compile it by doing:"
>
> We'll look at the i830 problem when you have 2.4.19 ready, but you do
> not need that for i830 support, 2.4.18 should do?  What you really need
> is XFree86 4.2.....
What I really need is X . Now I am using a  2.2.20 kernel if there is anyway
to run X on top of it with i830 let me know it please?