Re: awk segfault on make menuconfig to build kernel

This problem persists on multiple attempts, each time starting from a clean
unpack of kernel-source-2.4.19.tar.bz2.

I've tried it after upgrading the following packages to the testing
versions:
dpkg dpkg-dev debianutils make libncurses5-dev kernel-package

Tried again after upgrading fileutils to the version from untable, and again
after downgrading gcc from 3.2 (unstable) to 2.95.4 (stable). The system is
woody on a PIII 850 server with 1GB RAM, DAC960 RAID card and Intel 10/100
ethernet.

More details below, thanks for any help.

Dave De Graff

On each attempt to execute make menuconfig, I get the error:

gcc -o lxdialog checklist.o menubox.o textbox.o yesno.o inputbox.o util.o
lxdialog.o msgbox.o -lncurses
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/scripts/lxdialog'
/bin/sh scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
Using defaults found in .config
Preparing scripts: functions, parsingscripts/Menuconfig: line 1:   663
Segmentation fault      awk "$1"
Awk died with error code 139. Giving up.
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 1

I found this message via Google which looks possibly relevant but does not
provide any clue that I can act on:

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2002-June/016737.html

The first several lines of the .config file in the kernel-source directory
are:

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
#
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
# CONFIG_SBUS is not set