Re: Question on File Permissions

Am Son, 2002-09-22 um 21.34 schrieb Debian User:
> I set up a Web Server here on my Debian Box.
>
> Question, is there any way to set a default file permission on a certain
> user folder inside the /var/www/ folder.
>
> I want to setup accounts for users to upload web files, but the problem
> is that whenever I upload files, the files always default to read only
> and I have to run the chmod command each time, instead of them just
> defaulting to read and exe access for all.
>
> Is there any way to set this.

how is the upload done? via ftp oder http-fileupload. if it is done via
ftp, many ftp-servers allow to set default-permissions for files stored
in an "upload"-directory.

and for setting default permissions you can also consult the umask
functionallity. but i think this is very dangerous to turn x on by
default.

cu