Re: hosts.deny a directory???

Kenward Vaughan said:
I consider reinstalling the system, or can I tell how clean things
> are in some way to assess what the hell is going on?

if it were my system it would be a case for a reinstall. but I
would not reinstall until I was able to track down the source
of the problem(disk, controller, cable, kernel driver, filesystem..)

an extreme example of a similar situation I had a couple years ago
was with an Asus A7A266, I attempted to migrate my P3-800s hardware
(video card, PCI Promise IDE card, soundcard, SCSI card ..) to
this new motherboard with 768MB PC133 ram and a Athlon 1300..

the promise IDE card had the same disks I was using in the P3-800,
I booted up fine the first time, then encountered major problems,
so I reinstalled(massive curroption). I traced it down(after several
hours) to the motherboard:

mke2fs /dev/hda1
mkdir /blah
mount /dev/hda1 /blah
umount /blah
e2fsck /dev/hda1 (tons and tons of errors)

replaced the board with a Tyan board, all other hardware the same,
system ran fine for another 8 months w/no problems until the disk
failed(IBM 75GXP).

reinstalling without knowing what the problem is may not get rid
of the problem and you may be back at square 1. Tracking down
such a problem can take time, many many hours, or even days of
work swapping hardware/drivers.

if the option is available and that system is important I would
outright replace the whole system and delagate that system
to lesser tasks until you can figure out what the cause is.

nate