Kernel upgrade on remote server

Hi,

I've been digging through the docs and mail lists for info on Debian and
conventional kernel upgrade methods, and haven't yet been able to put
together a clear list of steps to do what I need.

The server to be upgraded is running bf-2.4.18, and its memory config only
recognizes the first 900MB or so of the 1GB of RAM in the box. That's the
main reason for this upgrade, plus to get any benefits of going to 2.4.19.

Since the server is an hour's drive away in a data center, writing a clear
and well-understood map of steps is important before I start hacking away.

The key hardware support that I need to ensure includes:

- ReiserFS support
- Mylex DAC960 RAID card
- Intel 82559 10/100 Ethernet

Since the server is accessible only via ssh, I also need to ensure that it
will reboot to the new kernel (or the old if something goes wrong,
hopefully) without the need for a bootloader choice to be selected.

I don't know if I need to do a custom compile or if I can use something like
kernel-image-2.4.19-686 (the processor is a PIII).

Thanks for any help -

Dave De Graff