Re: Alternatives To NFS?

At 1032550101s since epoch (09/20/02 09:28:21 -0400 UTC), Charlie Grosvenor wrote:
> 	On Mon 09/09/2002 at 20:43 I posted a message to this mailing
> lists subject "NFS Mounted Home Directories Machine Keeps Locking Up".
> Despite doing what people recommend I am still having the problems (I
> must admit it doesn't seem to happen as often but it is very annoying).
> Is there any alternative to NFS that I can use to mount my home
> directory on my server?

Yes.  AFS allows for NFS-like connectivity and mounting (some large
universities use it for home directories).  AFS servers and clients
are available in Debian (though I've never gotten around to setting
one up).

Also, you could use SMBfs to mount home directories over SMB (NetBios)
and treat it like a real filesystem.  The latter probably is not a
good idea for more than one person, however, as it requires usernames,
passwords, and probably does not scale well.  I only mention it as a
possible alternative, though I would not recommend it.

I do not know if either of these methods supports certain filesystem
semantics, such as locking.  Thus, things like mailbox access may not
work as you expect (and you might corrupt your mail).  Check the docs
carefully.  I don't know about AFS, but I suspect that SMBfs would not
provide locking semantics.  NFS also has locking problems (you have to
be careful), so if your NFS woes are locking-related, it's not likely
that a new filesystem type will fix your problems.

I didn't see the original post; do you know why the NFS connection
hangs?  Could it be lock-related?

Jason

--
Jason Healy