Re: Question abt upgrading

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:55:47PM +0200, DSC@Siltec wrote:
> Good day,
>   I am interested in upgrading my Woody 2.2.20 all the way up to the
> current stable.  I'd also like to upgrade my KDE to the current version
> (I guess that is 3.03 or something.)
>
>   My problem is that I don't exactly know the "debian way" of doing
> everything, so I'd like
> a check on my work.
>
>   My /etc/apt sources are /http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib
> non-free
>
>   My process so far was:  (1) look at debian FAQ for upgrade info
>   (2) apt-get update (3) apt-get dist-upgrade (4) ran dselect to clear
> out jdk
>   (5) Reran steps 2&3, and it appears that this finished successfully.
>
> Is there something more that I have to do?  Do I have to rebuild the
> kernel, and
> if so, what is the debian way of doing this?

I am not sure what is Woody 2.2.20. Isn't this a mixture of a kernel
version and Debian stable release? In any case the process that you
have described is the right way. What is in /etc/debian_version?
I am also not sure about your /etc/apt/sources.list lines. However
if apt was not complaining and/or you didn't bother to copy the
exact full lines then what you have should be fine. In particular,
you are right to have `woody' there.

As for the kernel, no need to rebuild it unless you are not satisfied
with the current one or just want to. As for the Debian way to
rebuild it, one might say that it is to use make-kpkg. For that you
will want to install the kernel-package and read its documentation
at /usr/share/doc/kernel-package.

Regarding KDE 3.03, I am not sure it is in stable.