Re: cyrus-imap with sasl

Quenten Griffith said:
> I am trying to setup a IMAP server using Cyrus and Debian/Testing and it
> appears the version of cyrus is 1.5 that is currently in testing and
> unstable and stable.  Which I think does not support SASL.  I belive I
> have to have at least 1.6.4 for that.  Is there a reason why the version
> we have in Debian is four years old?

probably because nobody stepped up to the plate to package the newer
version. I feel your pain too having been using cyrus for about 2 years
now. the upside at least is that when dist upgrading from potato to
woody nothing in cyrus changed so there was no potential problems:)

> I know there was a problem with
> 1.6.4 that required you to open up the /etc/passwd file to be world
> readable, I am assuming this is why it has not made it to Debian.

while I haven't used newer versions of cyrus the /etc/passwd should
already be world readable. many programs access it to find your uid/gid,
it would be difficult to run the system without your userid having read
access to it.  Maybe you meant /etc/shadow ?? I don't know, but /etc/passwd
has been default to world readable on every linux and unix system I've
ever used.

> So
> are my only options at this point to self compile or use the very old
> version?  I see unstable has Cyrus2 but that requires a whole system
> upgrade from testing to unstable, I am running several other servers I
> don't which to break so I don't want to upgrade to unstable as of yet.

depends on your needs I guess, i for one do not need SASL, and cyrus
1.5 works good, its a very prooven package, the only downside is the
pam version of pwcheck has a pretty bad memory leak, so if your using
PAM be aware (the default is to not use pam). I would like to use cyrus
2.x just to see what it's like, but will wait till later..

nate