RE: a question about modems

Hello there list,

Another newbie question here.  I got Debian all set up but have a question.
I am on a dialup connection.  I tried the "pppconfig" but it did not seem to
detect my modem which is a win modem with a rocwell chip set on
"/dev/ttys1".  I am wondering do I have to actually download drivers for
this and if so do they have to be compiled in the kernel or can I run them
separately.

Winmodems do not alway work with Linux. I think if you can't compile module into a kernel, you are pretty much up for a new, *real* modem.
Winmodems are not real modems.

 Also on the same note,  I have a soundblaster 16 sound card and
couldn't find a module that looked like it would work for the sound blaster
16.  Any ideas where I can go and get a driver for it?  Thanks much.

I think I saw support for SB16 in modules. Have another look at modules. You'll also need more info on the actual chipset (look at the actual chip
details).

As far as I know, Kernel 2.4 should support it and I hope you are playing with kernel 2.4.

AS far as Winmodem goes, I guess you'll be buying a new modem.

Take care,

Davor

Scott Berry