dhcp/windoze question

Hey,

I'm setting up a linux box for my friend (dual-booting actually), but i'm going to have to set up the network setting and i was looking for some advice first (because i can't change how the networking is done on his entire network).

First, his IP address is 'Obtained Automatically', does this mean i want to use DHCP? Or does Windows have some proprietary method of automatically obtaining IP addresses?

If it is DHCP, i shouldn't need to know the default gw or nameservers right? That would be a big relief too me...

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson