Re: Using exim efficiently on a dialup machine

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:49:00AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Hi List
>
> Some weeks ago I switched from kmail to mutt/exim. At first I did not
> realize that exim did not deliver several e-mails, some to the list, and
> some private ones. I saw using "exim -bs -bp", that those mails are
> marked  '*** frozen ***'. I don't know why this is the case, I'm sure I
> was online when sending them from within mutt.
> So, how can I "defrost" the frozen messages and get them sent?
> How do I configure exim so that it looks if ppp0 is up and then retries
> to send the messages instead of freezing them? (Is this possible at all?)
> Or what is the favoured way for a dialup machine to send mails from
> within mutt?

The messages might be frozen because after an extended period of time,
exim was unable to deliver them.  A standard setup to use exim from a
dialup is to have it send messages via your ISP's SMTP server (rather
than trying to deliver them itself).  If you're off-line, and send a
message via mutt (or whatever) the messages are normally queued for
delivery.  By default, there's probably a cron script that runs
exim every five minutes or so (unless it's running as a daemon).
Additionally, /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim should be run when the connection
comes up, and then flush the queue.

So, long story short, either exim is misconfigured for delivering
mail, or the messages couldn't be delivered (network outages,
unresolved hosts, etc...).   You might want the -Mt argument
for "thaw" message(s) with ids "..."  The messages will be
located in /var/spool/exim/.  You might also check /var/log/exim
for info about the delivery failures.

Apparently there is also an auto_thaw configuration option...

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(