getting Aptitude failed with my sources.list

Mario

It is my intention to install aptitude then to use that to upgrade my old
(pre-beta, circa Nov 2001) Woody system to Stable Woody, then to upgrade
to Sarge, then keep it that way.

I tried to fetch aptitude using apt-get per our discussion of last week.

Here is the list of errors followed by my /etc/apt/sources.list It appears
to me that something is wrong in my sources.list Please advise what needs
to be changed.

Partial transcript of apt-get attempt:

elentari:/etc/apt# apt-get install aptitude
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package aptitude has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org stable/main
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Pack
ages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
stable/contrib
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_contrib_binary-i386_P
ackages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
stable/non-free
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-i386_
Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

<SNIP>
If you need the rest, I'll be happy to send it. It all looks the
same to me :( -- Kinda like the sources.list is wrong.

My sources.list follows.

#
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free

This is the sources.list that was used to update the Potato system to
Woody in November except for the security line which came from advice from
someone on this list.

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks

David Teague