Woody X4.1 weirdness [was: s3virge and xfree864.1]

* Marcelo Chiapparini (chiappa@uerj.br) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running woody plus xfree86 4.1.0-16 in a pentium pro machine. The
> video card has a s3 virge chipset, so, the xserver-xfree86 runs its
> s3virge drive. I have the following problem: at resolutions of 1024x768
> or better, each time the screen is updated appear spurious horizontal
> line on it. The problem becomes worse for the high resolutions. At
> resolutions lower than the 1024x768 the problem disappears. Does exist
> a bug in the s3virge drive of xfree86 4.1? should I move to xfree86
> 3.3.6?

Interestingly; I've noticed this with X on Woody running on ATI Mach64
hardware.  It appears at 1280x1024, but is OK at 1024x768.  I haven't
been able to collect enough data to file a bug report of any usefulness
with the X folks.  Additionally; I'm not sure that I can provide enough
info to be of any use.  Has anyone else noticed this with Mach chipsets
with X in Debian3.0?

Cheers,
Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com