Re: Debian update?

This one time, at band camp, DSC Siltec said:
> So...
>
> #1    I don't know if Loadlin works yet, but I'm not sure how to install
> other bootup systems, and I really don't want to take away my dos
> capabilities at this point.  I'd like to keep Loadlin, would like to
> avoid LILO, but would accept something else -- but I'd need a page on
> how to install it.  Loadlin is something I understand, if someone can
> point me to a working copy.  As of May, it was broken.
> Or maybe the BZImage2 compression was broken, but in that case I have to
> have a way to recompile the BZImage2 (if that's been fixed).
> #2    I'd still like some pointers on getting my ALSA started, my
> printer started, and (ideally) my CD-RW going too
> #3    I'm beginning to wonder:  do I really have the wrong distribution,
> considering that I can't seem to get a good install?  I picked Debian
> because of the online list servers and the wide user base, but is there
> something better for learners that would really help a person learn
> Linux?  Or should I just keep on persevering?  I have no problem
> persevering, but I'd like to know that I'm actually going forward.

Many people say that Redhat or Mandrake are easier for beginners, but I
started with Debian, and if I can do it, it can be done.  With a lot of
pointers from friends and this list, I got to comfortable pretty
quickly.

I would recommend LILO or grub for your situation.  Both work really
well for this - I just set up a computer for my Dad that dual boots
using LILO, and it works without a hitch.

Printing, sound, etc. is usually a question of matching hardware and
modules.  It can be a little cryptic under Linux, although I have heard
that other distros handle it a little more autoamtically than Debian.
For printing, try 'modprobe lp' - that'll load the necessary modules to
print via a parport printer.  then you can use CUPS and it's nifty web
interface to coonfigure drivers.

Sound - lspci will tell you how the kernel sees your sound card, and
google will tell you what module drives it.

CD burning has it's own howto, available online.  The gist of it is that
the software really only likes a SCSI interface, so if you have an IDE
burner, you have to enable SCSI emulation for that drive.  The howto
will give you al the specifics.

If you need specific pointers to anything, write back.  Details are a
big plus when you're stuck - model numbers, error messages, log files,
etc.

HTH and ggod luck,
Steve

--
On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS.